Monday 9 July 2012

Taking a walk through Mijas

On Sunday morning Luke, Katie and myself went for a drive up the mountain to Mijas. Katie had been on a holiday with her parents and the age of ten. I decided to take her down memory lane!

It was extremely hot, but the sights around the little village are beautiful. We stopped to have an ice-cream and take photo's of the donkeys. We felt dreadfully sorry for their plight (see below)

"SEPE campaigned hard to end the barbaric treatment by the operators and it also held a public demonstration to bring about them coming under the control of the local Ayuntamiento veterinarian.
SEPE was backed by over 40 national and international charities and the media throughout Spain. The new agreement also included that the operators had to keep their donkeys within new published guidelines or they would lose their license, which appears uncontrolled and these long suffering donkeys certainly deserved much more.
The new mayor Antonio Sánchez has however informed SEPE that he is fully determined that the Ayuntamiento of Mijas take the reports of abuse seriously and there has now been someone appointed to take control of this who will be meeting with SEPE to discuss new measures." http://www.sepeonline.net/_content/sepe/?p=21

I wonder what those poor donkeys are thinking as they stand there day after day and have to endure all kinds of cruelties?





We finally wended our way down the mountain to a much-needed swim and cold-drink!

6 comments:

Joyful said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyful said...

Hi Rosemary, I'm here from Jo's blog. I am happy to see you are in a warm climate. I hope it isn't too warm for you and that you can stay cool. I love the quaint little town you've featured. I do feel for the poor animals too.



(I apologize if my comment appears twice. It did the first time and when I deleted it, both of the copies were deleted.)

diane b said...

It must be a big adventure moving to another country later in life leaving your family behind. Good for you for being so brave. It is sad to hear about the donkeys, I hope their plight is dealt with properly soon. It looks warm and sunny like the brochures.

Unknown said...

Diane, thanks for commenting on my blog! As a new blogger, I need a lot of support. We are enjoying this new way of life very much

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comment Joyful - I do believe there has been tremendous support for the donkeys, and what we could see was all very positive! Keep commenting!

Jo said...

Hi Rose, my heart bleeds for the donkeys, but I'm thankful someone's doing something about their plight. Nothing beats the cruelties we witnessed against donkeys while living in Mali, West Africa, and they have NO support. Glad you had a lovely walk with Luke and Katie. Blessings and love, Jo